Monday 21 September 2015

First Week Down - Reflections, Observations etc.

Well I have officially passed my first week of existence as a android app developer publicly. So far it has gone well, I have plenty of things I am preparing to release but at the moment I am spending some time in non-linear editing software trying to get promotional videos in the existing application's store listings.

I have also done some extensive research on app promotion. I have discovered it is quite a lot like trying to be a model. (Not that I have ever tried to do that, don't have the cheekbones). There are many many services out there that will "promote your app for $$". I think I am being smart here, but I am not buying into any of it. It would seem there is a great proportion of grey area marketing, if not blacker than black when it comes to app stores.

I am realistic, I don't expect to ever make a tonne of money doing apps, its too big of an ocean and I am one of many tiny fish. My focus is making quality things that are interesting to me, and perhaps to others. If an app takes off and becomes successful, sure that will be great but I want to obtain such a victory honestly.

It doesn't take much time researching the store to realize that many don't share my point of view, and are perfectly happy with hollow and fake victories. You quickly see fake positive reviews, fake negative reviews from compeditors and all manner of things done in an attempt to play with the numbers.

Call me a purist (which is why I likely will never be super rich) I would much rather the progress come naturally, and through positive word of mouth, than trickery or purchasing influence. At the end of the day even if no-one knew, I would. My plan is to make quality things, hopefully that is enticement enough.

MunkeeBonez

No comments:

Post a Comment